Friday, May 18, 2007

Rosie Lee Tompkins solo exhibit


Are you going to Vermont? Opening on May 20, 2007 is "Something Pertaining to God: The Patchwork Art of Rosie Lee Tompkins" at the Shelburne Museum. This solo exhibit features 43 quilts from Eli Leon's collection, and other quilted pieces, such as the embroidered, appliued covered chairs (2002). Thirty items have never been exhibited. Rosie Lee Tompkins, her real name was Effie Mae Howard, passed away in 2006 at the age of 70.
Update: Read an extensive Burlington Free Press article on the exhibit. Learn about Mrs. Howards extreme need for privacy. How her love of God influenced her quilting. At the time of her passing, she left over 100 unfinished pieces. Thank you to Eli Leon for letting me know about the article! I MUST get up to Vermont to see this show.

2 comments:

catquiltz said...

Thanks Kyra for all you do. Several years ago my mother and I saw Rosei Lee Tompkins solo exhibit in New York City. It was only because I checked Black Threads before I travelled to New York looking for an exhbiit and Bingo. While at the Gallery in Soho there were two women there one from Texas and one from New Jersey who read about the exhibit on your webstie. Your information is invaluable. If it wasn't for you I would have never seen Rosie Lee Tompkins' work up close and personal. Would love to see the Shelburne Exhibit but I won't be anywhere near Vermont.

Kyra said...

Catquiltz - Thank you! So glad that you find the information here useful! Enjoy! Kyra