Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Blessings to Third Baptist Church in Toledo, OH


The Toledo Journal reported the unveiling of an 80 square foot quilt in honor of the 140th anniversary of Third Baptist Church in Toledo, OH. The theme of the anniversary celebration held November 15th was "The Threads That Bind." Represented in the quilt are the church's current Senior Pastor, Rev. Kevin J. Bedford, the pastor of worship and music, Rev. Glenn L. Jones, and all the past ministers of the church. Hundreds of church member signatures are also on the quilt. Lauretta Russell stitched this magnificent quilt!

Displayed in the church were also other quilts in an exhibit titled "Stitches from the Soul-Sistahs." According to the Toledo Journal, those participating in the sewing included: Euneda Liddell, Sandra Page, Beverly Smith, Clementine Bourn, Marilynn Gardner, Safiya Smith, Kentrah Smith, Maleeka Smith, Dee Mabrey, Jeanna Temple, Janet Borton and Margaret Brown.

Personal shout out to Rev. Glenn Jones, who has known me since I was a kid. Congratulations to the Anniversary Chairpersons Carolyn Robinson and Co-Chairpersons Oliver Collins and Lauretta Russell. What a marvelous way to commemorate Third Baptist Church history! Enjoy!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is a remarkable quilt ... and it is a blessing to see Pastor Jones name as well...

peace, Wayne

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful and beautiful work or art. It's obvious it was a labor or love shared by all involved. May God continue blessing the Third Baptist Church. I only wish I could see it in person.

Delbra,
African American Quilter of Los Angeles

Big Mama said...

Kyra,
I don't know nwhat made me stop by today. What a wonderfully unique tribute. I have shared the poager with several from WPC and LA.

Thanks,
Mom

Rae Upchurch said...

I've seen the quilt in person and it is truly a work of art. Lauretta is my grandmother and I know all about the amount of time she puts into her work for perfection. I am so happy that Black Threads was so generous to display one of her many God-given talents. I hope to see more of her work on this site.

LauRae Upchurch,
Arlington, VA