Thursday, May 17, 2007

Are gas prices affecting your quilt making?


Yikes! Just saw this photo of the gas prices at one San Francisco gas station, where the station owner was trying to make a statement about high rents and franchise fees. Gas prices are now north of $3 here in the Northern Virginia area. Are gas prices in your area affecting your quiltmaking in any way?

I've read where one online pattern store is positioning itself relative to the high gasoline prices. Do you rethink that impulsive trip to Joanna's Fabric? Do you car pool to the guild meeting? Are you more inclined to buy your sewing supplies online? Or, is your quilting activities just too important to curtail just yet? Do share your comments on the topic!

4 comments:

Karoda said...

Yes! Between gas and the increase in groceries I've cut back purchasing notions, fabrics, books, and art supplies. To get my fix I'm buying a spool or two of good quality threads once a month. I chant to myself..."I have more than enough, I just need to do the work". I was going to rent 2 months of studio time, and now I'm questioning the wisdom of doing so due to the commute that would eat over a tank of gas a week.

Kyra said...

That's interesting. I know I have rethought even going to the local fabric store - because of the price of gas + fabric.

Unknown said...

Kyra - I still remember when gasoline was less than $1 per gallon. In fact, when I was in college and gas broke the $1/gal level ... I put my 1972 Chevy Nova in park and walked everywhere in protest of the high gas prices. That protest lasted for about a week. Gas never made it below $1 again...

peace, Villager

Shannon said...

Unfortunately, I don't have to rethink fabric trips due to the gas price. We live in a very rural area so must travel 60 miles to get to the city to purchase supplies anyway. I just combine that trip with a trip to the quilt shop! I have quite a stash so I haven't bought much lately, but even looking does my heart good!