Thursday, June 21, 2007

Suzan-Lori Parks 365 Days 365 Plays


Suzan-Lori Parks, who won 2002 Pulitzer Prize for Drama for Topdog/Underdog, wrote a play a day for one year. She says (from Amazon.com):
"The plan was that no matter what I did, how busy I was, what other commitments I had, I would write a play a day, every single day for a year. It would be about being present and being committed to the artistic process every single day, regardless of the 'weather.' It became a daily meditation, a daily prayer celebrating the rich and strange process of a writing life."
Check out the plays in the book, 365 Days - 365 Plays. Play #26 is titled Mrs. Keckley & Mrs. Lincoln. Mrs. Keckley was the Sistah dressmaker to the President's wife. The 3-page piece involves a conversation between the two women - I won't give away the surprise ending!

No comments: