Thursday, August 18, 2011

Chris Clark, Alabama Quilter 1958 - 2011


My prayers are to the family of Chris Clark, a popular Alabama quilter and folk artist, who passed away Tuesday from diabetes. I first became acquainted with Chris' distinctive painted quilts when I was researching Black Threads: An African American Quilting Sourcebook. I was able to speak with him on the phone and hear him share how he first got started quilting. He also let me know one of his quilts was used for a musical CD cover, Laser's Edge American Sampler (1999). I was able to see one of Chris' quilts in person at the Smithsonian Anacostia Community Museum. WOW - what he could do with a nine-patch block and paint! You can see more of his quilts at:
According to the Birmingham News, Chris is survived by his wife Deborah Clark; his daughter, Tameika Clark; his mother, Kathleen Clark; and father, Ocie Clark Sr. You can leave a note to his family on Chris' memorial page on Legacy.com. (The photo of Chris here is from the Birmingham News article. Blessings.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What beautiful, fun quilts and a waste of a talent. I wish I had found his work before.

Carol said...

You've done it again.
Thanks again Kyra for introducing the world and especially me to Chris. Sorry I'm just getting to meet such talent.
Much comfort and peace to his family at this time in their lives.

Kristi's Book Nook said...

His quilt is wonderful. Sad to hear he is gone.

j-crew said...

God Bless His Fingers and Soul. I was on the internet this morning, seeking a way to earn money, while doing something, I would love. I will try this quilting. My daughter made a breast cancer pillow for her girls scout last week and someone purchased it to display for their cancr research. As we use Gods /gifts and talents, we don't know who we are Blessing. Family of Chris, God Bless You All and continue to hold his quilts and memories dear. J-Crew