Friday, May 04, 2007

Queen Elizabeth Visits VA


Queen Elizabeth II is visiting Virginia - alas, I've not been invited to tea! Her Majesty is here to commemorate the 400 year anniversary of the Jamestown settlement. In public comments, the Queen acknowledges African contributions to the founding of the US when she said:
"And those early years in Jamestown, when three great civilizations came together for the first time, Western European, Native American and African, released a train of events which continues to have a profound social impact, not only in the United States but also in the United Kingdom and Europe."
Did you know that in 2001 Nigerian born, UK artist Chinwe Chukwuogo-Roy (self-portrait at left) was commissioned to paint the Queen's portrait (right)? Visit Chinwe's website to purchase prints or read her 52-page biography as a children's book. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Sonji Hunt said...

How are you going to get a copy of "Marth Ann" to her?

Anonymous said...

Kyra:
I read your blogs daily. I am not a quilter, but I learn about so many interesting people and events here. Did you answer Sonji yet?

Sonji: I'm smiling thinking of your
getting an answer.

Kyra said...

Sonji - Queen Elizabeth DOES have a signed copy of "Martha Ann" - and I have a lovely, thank you note from a lady in waiting on ivory stationary that has a simple Buckingham Palace postmark! I was THRILLED to receive it. Did I mention being THRILLED!?!