Thursday, September 06, 2007

Black Threads Blog - 1 Year Old!


I'd like to take a moment to THANK YOU! The Black Threads blog will celebrate its first year anniversary this weekend. I hope you've enjoyed learning more about African American quilters and quilts. In this last year, there have been more than 18,000 visits to this blog. WOW - you know that can't all be me and my mother! I've posted more than 230 notes for you in categories such as: Quilters, Guilds, Exhibits, Fabrics, Fun Fashions, Gee's Bend, In Memorial, books, museums and more. I hope you've enjoyed seeing quilts which may have been new to you, such as the Oprah Quilt (did it ever get on the show?).

Blogging takes time and commitment - from both of us. There are times when I post something and wonder, "will anyone actually read this?" I'm humbled by the comments you leave on the blog and the NUMEROUS emails you send me privately. I read each one and try to respond.

We're recording our own quilt history here - not just on this blog, but in the blogsphere! It's been FABULOUS to talk about our quilting heritage and learn more from other Sistah Quilter Bloggers, such as Sonji, Karoda, Sew Chick, Deborah and Gwen - to name a few.

All the best to you! In our second year, I hope you'll continue to share your quilting news, be open for a 3 question interview, or simply to leave your comments. Happy Anniversary to YOU! (P.S. I just LOVE this photo from the Carrie Mae Weems: The Louisiana Project!)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kyra, congratulations and keep the faith. I enjoy reading your blog. I especially like posts like those about Laura Gadson. I think Black Threads will be one an important historical "document". Go sista, go!

Deborah said...

I have enjoyed visiting this blog, it is a great service!

Karoda said...

Happy blogversary! I love love the way you stay on top of the African American Quilt stories and developments! It fills my cup and heart!

Deborah Grayson Studios said...

Kyra,

Congratulations on you 1 year anniversary. Not a week goes by when I dont check in to see what you have posted on. You provide all of us with such a service. You remind us all how important it is to document our artistry. Keep on keepin' on sister! Peace,
Deborah (UrbanWildFlowerDolls) in ATL

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! It is wonderful to know that there is such intrest by and for African American Quilts and Quilters. Please keep up the wonderful effort!
LaQuita

Kyra said...

Thank you all for your comments! The year has gone quickly. So glad the news is welcomed! Best, Kyra

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary, Kyra!! I love your blog and check it regularly. I always find something fascinating, learn something new, and am inspired!
Thank you!!
--Sarah D.

Jerise said...

Awww, I know I'm nearly a month late but I just wanted to congratulate you on your 1 year milestone. Blogging really is a thankless job(at times) so I know how it must feel to still be up and running!