Sunday, June 15, 2008

Aaron Douglas: African American Modernist


Thanks to my friend Joanna for reminding me that the exhibit "Aaron Douglas: African American Modernist" is here in Washington, DC at the Smithsonian American Art Museum until August 3, 2008. Then the exhibit will travel to the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, New York. You can purchase the exhibit catalog at Amazon.com. Take a moment to check out the quilt Ruth C. Bond designed that seems inspired by Douglas' style. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My uncle, George Redd was sketched by his friend, Aaron Douglas. I have a photograph of the sketch. Does it have value beyond its invaluable centimental value that I hold for it?

Kyra said...

Anonymous,

Hello! Thank you for your note. I am not an appraiser. You might consider calling your local museum's painting department as asking for a recommendation for getting the sketch appraised locally.

Best, Kyra